This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Congrats on Shipping - Feedback

Jun 18, 2011 at 12:56 AM

First congrats on shipping!

I looked through the guidance the second I got an email alert from codeplex...we've been waiting for this for quite some time.

Here's my Feedback:
I'm surprised to see manual/SharePoint approval in the WF4 build activitiies not being included.

I'm also really surprised to see a complete lack of any mention of the architecture tools being plugged into/customized from the Team Build activites. Especially when the Architecture guidance was so good.

I'm also disappointed that customizing WF4.0 build activities for Java/Maven/Ant not being included at all...did you guys even talk to Martin Woodward?

Lastly I was really hoping that customizing Team Build Activities for use with the TFS SDK for say version control / work item operations (create branch on build / merge code on successfully BVT) weren't included or explored.

The anticipation for this guiadance has been building over the last 6 months, and I had high hopes that this would be the comprehensive guidance for how to actually customize Team Build. I hope over time it will be....if there's continued investment...so

3 Questions:
1) With what appears to be missing gaps in the guidance...what's the plan for ongoing development of new modules for ATE?
2) What's the shipping schedule for the next round of updates?
3) The sample build xaml file...BRD Lite....is there a BRD Full that could be made available? Why is just the Lite version being included in the guidance...was this just a timing decision for V1...see questions 1 and 2..

Coordinator
Jun 19, 2011 at 11:17 PM
Edited Jun 19, 2011 at 11:18 PM

Copied from and slightly updated: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/willy-peter_schaub/archive/2011/06/17/toc-build-customization-guide-blog-posts-and-reference-sites.aspx

In terms of your questions:

1. This the first release, of hopefully many. According to the Ranger project nomination and voting, the non-Microsoft build guidance has made it back into the top 20 which should address your Java/Maven/Ant disappointment.
  2. We have just completed the nomination and stack ranking of the top 20 projects for FY12. Most probably, sometime in FY12. It depends of our FY12 plans. As you have noticed, we finished our Ranger votes round a few of days ago. Stay tuned for the results which will directly influence the plans for the update.
  3. We chose BRD Lite based on community feedback. BRD light actually replaces an internal product which some people found as too heavy. BRD light was added to address these concerns. Depending on the feedback and level of adoption, we might add a more feature rich BRD to a future release. Using the BRD Lite reference template and the guidance I see no reason why the community cannot build a BRD Full if needed.

Please drop me a wishlist & reasoning message on email or on blogs.msdn.com/.../contact.aspx and I will make sure it gets discussed when the team next meets for this project.

I really hope that your surprise and disappointment will be counter-balanced with the content that has been delivered :)

Coordinator
Sep 29, 2011 at 10:54 PM

Hi Bill

I'd like to discuss your feedback further.

I tried a while back to contact you via CodePlex. Please email me : michaelfourie > gmail.com.

Regards

Mike