This project has moved and is read-only. For the latest updates, please go here.

When to Create Gated Check-In Builds

Sep 30, 2011 at 7:23 PM
Edited Oct 4, 2011 at 5:02 AM

Currently we use triggered build on the trunk (MAIN) branch only. And, we use CI on DEV and RELEASE branches. 

• Why not use triggered build on all the branches?
  • In what scenarios, you shouldn't use triggered build on DEV and RELEASE branch?
  • Is it better to always use triggered build on every branch?

Please advise!

Thanks,

Hossein

Sep 30, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Hi Hossein

Can you clarify what type of build trigger you are referring to when you say " we use triggered build on the trunk"

thanks

Mike

Sep 30, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Correction:

Currently we use Gated Check-in build on the trunk (MAIN) branch only. And, we use CI on DEV and RELEASE branches. 

• Why not use Gated Check-in build on all the branches?
  • In what scenarios, you shouldn't use Gated Check-in build on DEV and RELEASE branch?
  • Is it better to always use Gated Check-in build on every branch?
Oct 3, 2011 at 11:35 PM

It comes down to maintaining velocity on your team. If you have short builds and enough build agents to process them, then you will not have developers waiting for builds to complete before getting their colleagues (latest) code. Yes you can share shelvesets while you wait for builds but this is problematic as you can't merge on unshelve. Also, what is the cost of a build break to your team. If it's very high then Gated gets more weight. Typically a larger team (>25) may require a Gated build as the frequency of build breaks may increase and impact developer productivity.

There are enhancements in this area in Dev11 and other issues to measure. I'll reply in more detail in a few days as I'm currently addressing this topic in V2 of the guide.

Mike

Oct 4, 2011 at 5:02 AM

Mike,

thank you so much for your advice. I look forward to your reply.

Mar 1, 2012 at 2:02 AM

Hi

Take a look at our V2 Beta and let me know if it helps clear up your issue.

Regards

Mike